Friday, June 16, 2006

You are an obsession, you are my obsession........

Everyone remember that 80's ditty by Animotion "Obsession"????... Well, those of you who know me well know I am a bit of a foodie (everyone is whispering under their breath "understatement of the century") I love good food, good wine and good scotch. At times I will crave something and have to have it everyday no matter what. I went on a bit of a chicken florentine binge a couple of months ago where poor JB had chicken florentine in a white wine parmesan cream sauce on fresh linguine at least once or twice a week whether he wanted it or not. Not to mention my recent blog about Empire Biscuits.

I have always been fairly adept in the kitchen. I started cooking and baking at a very young age and also took classes at the George Brown Culinary School here in Toronto. For a while I had my own catering/bakery business with my sister's room mate Ang for a while.

Anyway, my newest food/drink obsession is two beverages...




Beverage Number 1:




The Starbucks Green Tea Latte... I first tried one while JB and I were in Florida a few months ago. It's green tea powder mixed up by the barrista with steamed milk. My sister scared me earlier in the year by reminding me how much fat is actually in the Grande Lattes et al from Starbucks so I now have one every day but ask for non fat. I have now become a cliche Starbucks customer and can rhyme off "Grande Non Fat Green Tea Latte" as fast as a hummingbird can flap it's wings.....I literally have to have one everyday. I either plan my route to work to ensure I pass the Starbucks on the corner across from our office towers or if I take a cab in, I say to the driver "uh, excuse me cabbie, can you just stop here at the Starbucks and I will walk the rest of the way"

Beverage Number 2:

Cognac and Tonic water.... YES! believe it or not this tastes good and with the summer heat coming in this is the most refreshing drink I have tried in a long time. I am not usually a fan of mixed drinks other than a classic, very dry, gin martini or maybe Pimm's in the really hot weather. I kind of stopped trying to order Pimms in bars here in TO as the last time I did, the bartender looked at me like I had four heads, asked what it was. I then pointed to a lonely looking bottle of Pimms on a shelf behind the bar. The guy had to get on a chair to get it and then had to wipe off 6 inches of dust off the bottle!!!! If I feel like a Pimm's, I keep a bottle at home and mix with ginger ale and an extra shot of gin with some lime, lemon and cucumbers sliced in it. But I digress....this latest drink is an amazing taste combination. It's one part cognac, two parts tonic water, lots of ice and a lemon slice. Man oh man it tastes good. It is not for those who like sickly sweet drinks, it is a bit bitter which I love.

Quote of the day:

"If you mean the demon drink that poisons the mind, pollutes the body, desecrates family life, and inflames sinners, then I'm against it.

But if you mean the elixir of Christmas cheer, the shield against winter chill, the taxable potion that puts needed funds into public coffers to comfort little crippled children, then I'm for it.

This is my position, and I will not compromise !".
- A Congressman's response about his attitude toward whiskey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cognac and tonic water? I'm definitely trying that! I was originally turned on to tonic water and Angostura Bitters about 30 years by a bartender in a fab little restaurant (long gone, alas) at Wellesley and Church. I gave up asking Wait Staff for tonic and bitters as they never knew what I was talking about. So it's strictly an at-home treat.