Monday, August 14, 2006

Kobayashi Maru (for you trekkies, keep reading)


Bless this house O Lord we pray; Make it safe by night and day;
Bless these walls so firm and stout, Keeping want and trouble out:
Bless the roof and chimneys tall, Let thy peace lie over all;
Bless this door, that it may prove ever open to joy and love.



Apoligies but todays blog is a bit of a mish mash of things.

First off, Yes!! the roof is finally finished. The "roofers" showed up on Saturday afternoon to finish the job. I was so happy it made me think of the old hymn "Bless this House" which my Grandfather used to sing sometimes. It was a very popular hymn in the 1920's and 1930's. I was tempted to find a recording of the hymn and play the one line "bless this roof......" over and over again until the roofers left.

The weekend was not as relaxing as I had planned. My Saturday morning golf game with Espinoza and EL was great, very relaxing and a good work out. My friend Zahur joined we three ladies and it is always entertaining when Zahur joins us. Zahur is the type of person who is never stressed, always calm and laid back and he always has hilarious stories to tell us, in his cool African, British accent. Zahur loves golf and is one of those players who never gets stressed or upset. He keeps everyone else relaxed during the long 18 hole journey of the golf game. Zahur reminds me of Yul Brynner from the Ten Commandments. He has the same shaved head and speaks the same way as Yul (even though Yul was not African). When I sms'd Zahur and said we need a fourth for golf on Saturday he said to me with a flourish a la Yul "Then, I shall be your fourth!" not many guys use the word "shall" these days.

While I was out golfing, JB was at the Toronto Beer Festival (he wrote about it in his blog today, photos included) I had the rest of the day to do what I wanted. I decided to go grocery shopping and pick up some items and get something to BBQ and then hit the liquor store for some wine and then go home and relax. I had every intention of pouring myself a nice Leffe beer and reading the new Vanity Fair Magazine, out on our back patio alas, when I drove up to the house, I noticed the familiar white van of the roofers. I just wanted to sit out in the back and relax and read a magazine but the hammering and other noises was making me crazy. It was even worse when they brought out the flame thrower to melt the tar to attach the sealant to a portion of the house that has a flat roof on it. I decided to go inside and close all the windows and prep dinner.

On Sunday, JB and I went for our weekly golf lesson and then got home to find the roofers back at work, doing last minute fix ups and cleaning up all the debris. Once they left, we decided to go to Golf Town as they are having a huge clearance sale. I got a great deal on a 56 degree approach wedge (you golfers will know what that is)in an "oil can" finish and we both got a great deal on two bag carts. It saves us renting a cart each time we go and play.the cart in the photo is the model we bought. It has some nice extras such as the tee holders, ball holders and water bottle holder, not to mention the holder for the scorecard and pencil! This is most important as it is a pain to continually be pulling out the score card from your pocket or golf bag and then searching for a pencil to input everyone's score after each hole. Back at home JB unpacked the carts and put them both together. I was called and emailed about work issues on and off all day on Sunday.

Sunday night my brother arrived home and noticed the roof finished and the debris all cleaned up and quipped "oh, have our lodgers finally moved out?"

Back at work today and thankfully my Director is back! This afternoon, I got into a discussion with one of my co-workers about those annoying "team building" posters that are sold from the store "Successories" I am sure you have all seen them before. The posters with the beautifully photographed nature scenes or sports scenes with the requisite statements such as "A positive attitude is a powerful force. It can't be stopped!".....well, some bright person has developed their own "successories" poster campaign utilizing old stills from the old Star Trek series... There are three pages of these hilarious "motivational posters" one of my favorites is the one below. The caption states "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am." I just can't stop laughing!














Celtic Chancers update: The boys are close to the border of Kazakhstan and Mongolia. Their latest message: "slept in car in field 2 sound of horse size dogs barking. Woke 2 sound of cow eating wing mirror. Had breakfast with local farmer & flies." (if confused see previous blog "From London to Ulaan Bataar")


Quote for Today:

Today's quote is for our a**hole Canadian Prime Minister who apparently could not attend the rather large AIDS conference happening in Toronto this week. His "people" are saying that it could not fit into his calendar. It appears the likes of Bill Clinton, 1000's of dignitaries from all over the world including numerous women from Africa fighting to get much needed drugs to their countries, does not make our Prime Minister CLUE IN, that perhaps he should have attended the opening ceremonies with the other dignitaries from all over the world. I am embarrassed and disgusted that this man is our Prime Minister and every Canadian should remember this come election day! (Ii never voted for the boob to begin with so my conscience is clear!)


great revolution in just one single individual will help achieve a change in the destiny of a society and, further, will enable a change in the destiny of humankind.


Daisaku Ikeda - Japanese Peace Activist

No comments: